17.6.08

Random bits

Athens: On the steps of the Acropolis an American lady asked me to take her photo so I obliged and she took mine (see below for the outcome, hehe she was old-er). Later near one of the other temples I hear the Greek ‘security’ people blowing their whistle like crazy and the same lady has wandered into the roped off area and they are running up to her and telling her to get out of there. hehe, it was quite funny. I don’t blame her for getting confused though because in typical Greek style there are two other women (who I assume are friends of the workers working on the temple) and they are just sitting, probably smoking, on the steps of the temple inside the roped-off area!





Ferries: Dad if you thought you had to be good to get in and out of the pen at South of Perth, wait until you see the big ferries come into port - they back in to the pier between other massive ships and then line up perfectly against the wharf. It’s amazing to watch! (and imagine trying to come in at 2 am!)





ferry backing up into the parking space, around another vessel



backing up and letting down the driveway/gangplank whatever you call it






all the people waiting to get off - to me it seems like they are alien abductees all waiting to see light and if they are on planet earth



Assorted yachts/boats at the old port, Mykonos

Crepes: The crepe has replaced the yiros in my diet. There are crepe places everywhere and on Naxos and here in Crete I have had a... few (or more). Delicious with either nutella/banana or ham, cheese and tomato. They cost around 2.80-3 Euros, so a little more expensive than yiros which are 1.80-2 Euros, but they are just as filling (though I’m still not sure if they are less fatty than yiros given how much nutella or cheese they put in - I’m going to assume crepes and yiros have the same calorific content).

Boys: To answer your question yes I have met a lot of girls travelling, met a few guys as well but they tend to be travelling in a couple or a huge group, whereas girls travel in ones or twos a lot, and are more chatty. Greek men? Disgustingly unattractive for the most part! There is something really unappealing about them, like they have funny shaped heads or something, and are often pretty short. Not my type - well, now you know.

Greece, the land of the gum tree: Seriously, they are everywhere. You try to leave Australia and all you encounter are Aussie backpackers and eucalyptus trees - aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggh! The main Pialtus (`square') in Heraklio is full of gum trees. I feel like it should be called Aussie plaza. Though loitering is totally discouraged in Australia, here it is a way of life. I think once you get used to it hanging out it's really nice, rather than being encouraged to go home and stay indoors.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!

Just look at those steps!

=P~

starwxrwx said...

ahah that was my point, she was rather dotty and also my camera doesn't have a viewfinder (only a sweet 3" LCD screen that old folks find tricky to see)