2.7.08

Scary places

Stayed in the most scary hotel ever last night in Thessaloniki - down a dodgy side street, that I could deal with. The room was clean (enough) and the shared toilet was clean enough and the shower was passable (though the door was missing the bottom 20 cm and the window (with no glass) was overlooked by a lot of other windows). This I could deal with though.

Then it got worse. The other people in the hotel were the worst - fucking dodgy crims. A group of disgusting men all with their shirts off (people do this everywhere in Greece - yes it's hot but YOU ARE NOT) and hairy everything all sitting around making some goddam Turkish coffee concoction which involved lighting a fire on some alfoil in the hallway. Two of them had a room with the door constantly open and I swear they were bootleggers or something, I could see a lot of weird shit in there but didn't dawdle too long to see for sure just got the hell out of there. I slept with one eye open all night (not hard as it was SO BLOODY HOT and there was NO FAN or aircon or even a power point in my room AND I was eaten alive by ginormous mosquitos I slept with a wet towel over my legs) and with my pocket knife and torch and hand bag packed ready to run! Yikes. It was the worst place I've ever stayed and no amount of saving money is worth it!

Anyway I got out of there early this morning still in one piece with all my things (there was no actual trouble, though some bastard was making his coffee and smoking from 2-3 am right outside my door) and I've checked in (at 9 am! awesome) to a new hotel for 3 times the price (55 vs 20 €) but it is sooooo much nicer and I've got aircon, I've had a shower and am using wifi - brilliant! Going to look in the shops might buy a couple items of clothing (and ditch some of my old stuff which I tell you gets really wrecked travelling especially on the islands).

I've got more blog posts to come, I've typed them up but too tired now to finish them off properly. I've got a review on Greece in general and one of the food, but for now I'm just going to say that I can't wait to get the fuck out of here tomorrow!

No comments: