3.11.08

NYC

New York City was fantastic! amazing! really great!

It was, I'll admit, far less intimidating that I was expecting. I guess I'm an old hat at travelling now, but I expected it to be... harsher. I have to say, people walked far more slowly than I thought they would - sometimes REALLY slowly and I was the one pushing through the crowds! No, not as fast paced it could have been - London and even Tokyo were much faster paced.

Anyway it was great also because I had a POSSE, well, at least I was part of a posse. I arrived and met up straight away with Claire who was taking 6 weeks of work in Perth, Dave also rocked up with his travel buddy Andrew after their 4 and a bit month stint in China and India and Europe, then Lisa rocked up straight from London and eventually Lisa's sister Sarah from Houston! We also increased our numbers by one with Danny, an English guy staying in the same dorm room as Dave and Andrew - he hung out with us the whole time and was good value!

Experiencing NYC with a group made all the difference, as the restaurant and bar scene was ours for the taking (at least the casual scene - we all felt a little too derro to try and seriously upmarket NYC places).

On the very first day with Claire and Lisa we made a list of things to see and do and it was all so cool because we were like 'Empire State - cool!' and 'ooh we have to see Wall St' and then 'oh and the Rockerfeller ice skating rink and Central park and etc etc etc' yes it was all very cool to come up with a huge list of familiar names all in the one city!

We stayed in Chelsea for 5 nights then uptown at 103rd st West side for 3. Both were great locations though we didn't explore much of the upper west side but we did walk through Central Park which was cool.

Here are some of the highlights:

Times Square (day and night)




The Flatiron (as I read phentically off a postcard 'oh the flat-y-ron building' and then got teased for the rest of the trip)


Coney Island (mostly closed, but the boardwalk was nice)





The Brooklyn Bridge







Staten Island ferry (Lady Liberty in the background)


Wall St



Central Park




Top of the Rock -Rockerfeller center for the sunset



and of course going out (locations unknown!!)

No comments: